Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Leftover Bananas

I love left over rotting bananas and this is my favorite recipe to use them up!  The yogurt makes the bread so moist and not a lot of extra fat or calories.

I always cut the bread in the middle.  Mostly because that is the piece the girls like the most and it also drives my husband nuts.  I mean it really bothers him and I made a promise to his younger sister that everyday for the rest of his life I would torture him on her behalf.  I think I am really doing a good job too!

Here is the recipe from Penzey's Spices:
Ingredients


2 cups unbleached flour

3/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 cup walnuts (optional) or pecans, coarsely chopped (optional)

3/4 cup mini chocolate chip (optional)

1 1/2 cups bananas, very ripe and well mashed (3 bananas)

1/2 cup vanilla yogurt

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions

1.  Preheat oven to 325°F Grease a large 9x5 loaf pan and set aside.

2.  Stir the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, nuts and chocolate chips together in a large bowl and set aside.

3.  In a medium bowl, mix the mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter and vanilla together.

4.  Lightly fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined and the batter looks thick and chunky.

5.  Spoon the batter into the loaf pan and smooth the surface with a spatula.

6.  Bake at 325°F until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 70-75 minutes.

7.  Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then turn out and let cool on a wire rack.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm LOVE banana bread! I use applesauce instead of butter - no added fat, and it moistens the bread great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - chocolate chips too? Optional? No way! Looks delish, thanks for the recipe and like you, I should cut that loaf in the middle...for the same reason ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I found your blog from Barefoot by the Sea. Oh the recipe looks yummy....my family loves fresh breads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete